This episode of Indie Business Podcast is about choosing the right kind of business for you, and the mindset you will need to be successful. The show was recorded yesterday live on WIXE-AM, a local radio station here in Monroe, North Carolina. Reed Alexander, the show host was kind enough to give the audio file to me so I could share it with you here on the blog and via iTunes.
You will be able to enjoy the live stream in the body of each blog post by clicking the play button. I will also post “show notes” so you can scroll each post in advance to get an idea of the content.
To make sure you catch every episode, I encourage you to subscribe via iTunes so you can take Indie Business Podcast with you wherever you are in your busy life.
Show Notes For This Episode
Reed and I covered a lot of ground on this show. Here is an overview:
- Be active online and locally. Every online business needs some kind of physical presence. From the local farmer's market to the occasional pop up store, you must leave a mark in your local community even if you have an online business.
- Plan your life first, then your business. There's nothing like becoming successfulin business only to realize that your business does not fit your life. Decide what kind of life you want first, and design a business around it.
- Learn how to do business by watching what others are doing locally and online. The Internet is an amazing free educational tool. If someone is doing what you want to do, watch and learn from them.
- The importance of having a niche. Don't launch your business like you are selling products at a cheap, free-for-all- bazaar. Launch with intention and with a niche, and build on that.
- The importance of embracing technology. Learn and grow slowly. Do not ignore technology. This is one of the biggest mistakes you can make.
- How to find someone to help you with your business. You will be surprised where help will come from. Know exactly what you want and then go find someone to do exactly that.
- Training your children for entrepreneurship. Our children are entering a world where a job will be a luxury. Teach them how to create their own job. In this segment, I mention our member, Sara's Soaps ‘N Such in Burgaw, North Carolina.
- How to decide what kind of business may be right for you. Look at your life, hobbies, passions, and of course, what people will buy.
- The importance of setting an appropriate price and paying yourself. Your business will be no fun if you are not getting paid. You may not be able to do this in the early days, but it should be one of your first goals as you grow.
What have you found helpful in starting your business? Also, I’d love to know what you think about the podcast! I value your thoughts and opinions. This podcast will be for you, so I want to make it fun and relevant to your life. Let me know what you want to see and hear!