Welcome to Episode 86 of the Indie Business Podcast! Today's Indie Story introduces you to Christie Krasteva of CEVARI, in Charlotte, North Carolina. A self-described “nature girl,” Christie grew up surrounded by all types of entrepreneurs including farmers, auto body shop owners, construction engineers, charter boat owners, horticulturists and more. Having been exposed to entrepreneurship at a young age, Christie, who is also an herbalist, was inspired to turn her love for plants and the great outdoors into a business of her own. She kicked things off in 2017, and has poured every penny earned back into her business.
Christie is a very detailed oriented entrepreneur who is not afraid to follow her gut. Her story of intentional brand creation and patiently putting the pieces together will inspire you to take your time and trust your intuition as you lead your business forward. Plus, you'll love how Christie talks about working with her husband in her business. Enjoy my interview with Christie NOW!
Click the arrow to enjoy the Indie Business Podcast
Episode Show Notes
Here are the topics discussed in this episode, with time stamps to help you find the information that interests you most:
- Christie shares her entrepreneurial story, including how she used a blog helped her get things going. (starting at 2:18)
- Christie on research, attention to detail, planning and patience. (starting at 8:27)
- Following her gut … and serendipity … (starting at 10:35)
- Working with her husband. (starting at 13:20)
- The meaning of the brand name: CEVARI. (starting at 16:16)
- A bit about the CEVARI line of products. (starting at 19:04)
- Why Christie is keeping her product line tight and small. (starting at 22:28)
- Christie's business model, including e-commerce, wholesale, plans for selling at physical events, and beauty award winnings. (starting at 24:10)
- How Christie markets her business using social media, newsletter, etc. (starting at 26:50)
- Most useful technological devices and favorite apps. (starting at 30:38)
- What's on tap for the future of CEVARI. (starting at 33:20)
- Christie's wisdom and words of advice to entrepreneurs, and one of her favorite inspiring quotes. (35:45)
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
In this episode, Christie and I mentioned the following resources.
- CEVARI website
- CEVARI on Instagram
- Cosmetic formulation classes: Formula Botanica
- Design and editing app: Canva
- Newsletter app: Klaviyo
- Ingredient supplier: Formulator Sample Shop
Important entrepreneurial insights from Christie
Let's unpack some of the most significant business insights Christie and I discussed in this episode.
1. Don't overcrowd your business
Christie shared her philosophy of not overcrowding her business with too many products. Instead of having a bunch of products in her line, she prefers to create with an intentional perspective, having a few products that help people feel good about themselves, and that become a part of their daily self-care routine. Christie says she's taken her time and really trusted the process that everything will unfold as it should without her having to rush and be hassled and hustling all the time.
2. The power of video
While Christie uses a variety of different social media outlets, including Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram, she really loves the power of video on any platform because it allows you to connect so well with your audience. People can get an understanding of who you are, and through the power of video, they can see you and hear your voice, and this engagement paves the way for a deeper and more meaningful business relationship.
3. Follow your heart, always
Christie advises that, when you step into business, make sure you know ahead of time that it is a lot of hard work. It takes up a lot of time and it takes up so much of your mind and your body. It's important to remember to take time for yourself and remind yourself that it's OK to slow down and take a break. Follow your heart and follow your body, and allow it to tell you what to do so you are not always hustling and running from here to there, doing “all the things.” Take the time to not even think about your business for a while so you can recharge and replenish yourself when your heart and your body tell you that you nee to do that.
Binge Indie Business Podcast Episodes
Subscribe to Indie Business Podcast
Rate Indie Business Podcast, Tell Your Friends and Comment
If you enjoy the Indie Business Podcast, please rate our show on Apple Podcasts, and be sure to subscribe there to receive automatic episodes as they are released.