Welcome to Episode 87 of the Indie Business Podcast! Today's Indie Story introduces you to Rhonda Walters of RareGlo, in Gaithersburg, Maryland. Rhonda has been in the beauty business for over 40 years. She is a cosmetologist, a hair stylist, a salon owner, and a cosmetics formulator.
And a mom and a long distance runner. And a long distance runner.
Oh, and she recently celebrated her 40th wedding anniversary. I'm sure I am leaving out some highlights. In a word, Rhonda is amazing. When you listen to this episode, you will swear there is a tiny little nuclear reactor living inside of her. She has boundless energy and is a whirlwind of constant, yet focused, motion.
This episode will motivate and inspire you to pursue all of your dreams to the fullest extent. If you are not on fire to make your mark in the world after hearing from Rhonda, then you might want to check for a pulse. Enjoy my interview with Rhonda NOW!
Click the arrow to enjoy the Indie Business Podcast
Episode Show Notes
Here are the topics discussed in this episode, with time stamps to help you find the information that interests you most:
- How Rhonda started Rareglo — kind of on a fluke. (starting at 2:35)
- A bit about Rhonda's hair salon, all 30 years of it. (Also, “building Eiffel towers on heads.”) (starting at 6:07)
- Rhonda's growth as a personal brand. (starting at 9:33)
- Rhonda's career in the travel industry. (starting at 11:00)
- How Rhonda runs her business, and what she wants to change. (starting at 15:50)
- How Rhonda handles her Instagram account and social media in general. (starting at 17:36)
- Rhonda's most popular products: Skin and Hair Butter and 3N1 Shea Mango Butter Bar. (starting at 25:22)
- The future of Rhonda's entrepreneurial endeavors. (starting at 27:35)
- Why Rhonda is not interested in selling her products wholesale. (starting at 28:42)
- Family matters. (starting at 31:17)
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
In this episode, Rhonda and I mentioned the following resources.
Important entrepreneurial insights from Rhonda
Let's unpack some of the most significant business insights Rhonda and I discussed in this episode.
1. Leaning into a face-to-face retail sales model
Rhonda shared that she thrives when she is with her people, selling her products in person. Her best way of interacting with her customers is face-to-face because people want to see and talk to her. While selling online is great, says Rhonda, she is leaning into the way people respond to her and her products in person. And, at present, she's not really interested in selling her products wholesale at all.
2. Social media is about getting to know you
Rhonda has heard from all kinds of people about how best to use social media, but at the end of the day, she says she gets results when she integrates her personality with her Rare Glo brand on Instagram. Allowing people to get to know her and what she's all about produces interest, engagement and sales, and she prefers leveraging her personality to just showing up every day and talking just about shea butter products all the time.
3. Rhonda's advice for when you are discouraged on your entrepreneurial journey
Rhonda advises to stay the course and don't give up. It's tempting of course, because entrepreneurship is difficult, and we are all discouraged from time to time. But Rhonda says the tide turns right after you want to quit. The breakthrough is always after the darkness, and if you give up, you are not around to enjoy it.
Binge Indie Business Podcast Episodes
Subscribe to Indie Business Podcast
Rate Indie Business Podcast, Tell Your Friends and Comment
If you enjoy the Indie Business Podcast, please rate my show on Apple Podcasts, and be sure to subscribe there to receive automatic episodes as they are released.