Welcome to Episode 88 of the Indie Business Podcast! Today's Indie Story introduces you to Brittany Hogan of Nefertem Holistic Skincare, in Park Forest, Illinois. For Nefertem co-founders Brittany and her husband, Andre, business is about so much more than money. The brand name itself borrows from Nefertem, the god of beautification in the ancient culture of the Nile Valley region where mathematics, science, philosophy, and astrology were birthed.
As you'll hear in this episode, that ancient meaning and symbolism form the basis of the Nefertem product line, which consists of bath and body products designed specifically to help you create a space to reflect and evolve into the best possible version of yourself. You'll also enjoy hearing Brittany tell the Nefertem startup story, which includes quitting jobs, traveling cross the country, home schooling children and working with your spouse — some of it all at the same time. Enjoy my interview with Brittany NOW!
Click the arrow to enjoy the Indie Business Podcast
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 56:47 — 26.0MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | RSS
Episode Show Notes
Here are the topics discussed in this episode, with time stamps to help you find the information that interests you most:
- The ancient cultural origins of the Nefertem brand name. (starting at 2:40)
- How Nefertem started, and how family and lifestyle fit into the entrepreneurial picture. (starting at 4:36)
- How Brittany markets her products directly to consumers. (starting at 25:28)
- “Reflect & Evolve” YouTube series. (starting at 26:50)
- Brittany shares what it's like to work with her husband, Andre. (starting at 28:26)
- About Nefertem Bundles and how they infuse positive vibes and energy into the products. (starting at 32:58)
- Future plans for Nefertem. (starting at 37:28)
- How Brittany's children fit into the business. (starting at 39:18)
- How Brittany uses TikTok and Instagram. (starting at 44:17)
- Brittany's words of advice for new entrepreneurs. (starting at 49:05)
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
In this episode, Brittany and I mentioned the following resources.
- Nefertem Holistic Skincare website
- Nefertem Holistic Skincare on Instagram
- Marketing firm: Kamadu Marketing
- Youtube channel: Nefertem on Youtube
- IBN member benefits: Facebook community and Indie Pods
Important entrepreneurial insights from Brittany
Let's unpack some of the most significant business insights Brittany and I discussed in this episode.
1. Advice for new, and possibly fearful, entrepreneurs
For new entrepreneurs, Brittany advises simply to have faith. She says that life is too short to let your fears hold you back. Also, she says to surround yourself with other people who are launching or have launched their own businesses. Says Brittany, you cannot put a dollar amount on the value of a community like the one at the Indie Business Network where there is endless support and inspiration in the Facebook community and through participating in programs like out Instagram Pod Program.
2. Trusting the process
Brittany encourages you to refuse to ignore signs that you should move your life in a different direction. When you feel a pull in your life to go in a different direction, try to be open and take the time to pay attention to the signs and think about what they mean. When you do this, Brittany says, you'll be rewarded with more signs to guide you. Brittany says that when she has followed the signs, and been open to them, she has experienced fewer life challenges. When she ignores signs, that's when the challenges show up.
3. Working with your spouse
Brittany said that working with her husband, Andre, is very rewarding, and filled with both ups and downs. It's great, she says, to work a business with your spouse because you know that you always have each other's back. At the same time, you are neck deep in business every single day, day in and day out. This means that a lot of the conversation that might be focused on the two of you as a couple shifts to focus on the business. Her advice is to be careful that you and your partner don't become so intertwined in the business connection that you use sight of the spousal connection.
Binge Indie Business Podcast Episodes
If you want to binge listen to previous episodes, you can do that here.
Subscribe to Indie Business Podcast
If you enjoy the Indie Business Podcast, please subscribe so you can get each episodes as it is released. You can subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play or your favorite podcast platform.
Rate Indie Business Podcast, Tell Your Friends and Comment
If you enjoy the Indie Business Podcast, please rate my show on Apple Podcasts, and be sure to subscribe there to receive automatic episodes as they are released.