Welcome to Season 1 of the Indie Business Podcast! In this third episode, I introduce you to Darren and Carrie Seibert of Soap Commander in Cherokee, Alabama, and we discuss how they manage their business while raising and home schooling seven (yes, 7) children.
Being married to an unexpected entrepreneur is not always easy. You get married and think our life will be one way. Then your spouse decides to turn a hobby into a business, and you are suddenly thrust into a whole new way of life. Some people become unglued. Some people are just confused. But others do what Darren did: roll up their sleeves and join the party. If you have ever thought about joining your spouse in a business venture, then you'll enjoy this episode of Indie Business Podcast where the Seiberts reveal how they work together to make it all happen.
Click the arrow to listen
When people think of our business, we want them to think of us as a couple …
Carrie and Darren Seibert, Soap Commander
Season 1, Episode 3: Show Notes
Here are few of the things Carrie, Darren and I discussed in this episode.
- How Carrie's hobby became Carrie and Darren's business.
- How Carrie and Darren make a business work while home schooling their seven children.
- How husbands can support their wife entrepreneurs.
- How having “no agenda” from time to time is a good thing.
- How a trademark issue lead to their recent rebranding.
- What are the big picture steps to rebranding, and how they completely flipped their business model in a few months.
- Why selling an experience (as opposed to just a product) makes all the difference in the world.
- How Carrie and Darren (and their children) generate income on things other than retail sales of bath and body products.
- Carrie's and Darren's tips for working an entrepreneurial venture with your spouse.
- Experiences combining two people into one business and nurturing the business, which is another child.
Here are links to the resources mentioned in this episode
Graphic design: Digital Candy Graphic Arts
Connect with Carrie, Darren and Soap Commander
Jordana at Blue Butterfly Amazing Crafts asked: “How can I draw people to my website? I'm currently using a prefabricated template for my website. Should I pay for a professional website builder to make a website for me?”
Ask a Question!
I love hearing from you and helping you solve your most pressing business problems NOW. If you have a question, use the app below to leave it on our voice mail. If I use your question on an episode, I will link to your site as I provide complimentary advice to help you use your business to create the life you love.
Your Feedback Please!
If you have an idea for an Indie Business Podcast episode topic or guest, send your feedback through our Contact Page.
If you enjoyed this episode of the Indie Business Podcast, please subscribe and rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.
Best and success,