Welcome to Season 1 of the Indie Business Podcast! In this fifth episode, I introduce you to Samantha Dickey of Dirty Beauty Skincare in Woodstock, Georgia. Here is how Samantha describes her handmade products: “Hand-poured and developed by a farmer's nerdy lipstick-lovin' granddaughter.” You should be able to tell from that description that Samantha is a country girl. Combine that with her business name — Dirty Beauty — and maybe you can conclude that her products are made with ingredients from the earth.
If you like buying products that combine “down home ingredients” (Samantha has one with collard greens in it!) with a bit of bling (like the bronze mica in her bronzing body butter), then you will love Samantha's line — and you'll love Samantha too.
Click the arrow to listen
Early in my business, farmer's markets offered a low cost weekly marketing and selling opportunity to my target audience …
Samantha Dickey, Dirty Beauty Skincare
Season 1, Episode 5: Show Notes
Here are few of the things Samantha and I discussed in this episode.
- Learn about how Samantha sources as many products locally as she does globally, and how this helped her establish and sustain her business model; and enjoy learning about her Collard Green Face Elixir.
- How Samantha's devotion to farmer's markets helps her with everything from market research to generating income.
- Samantha uses farmer's markets to build her personal brand, and it has led to private label, contract and corporate gift business opportunities.
- Samantha's tips for effective use of social media and how it helps her move her business from the “desert” to “Fifth Avenue in New York City.
- The importance of flexibility to the success of your entrepreneurial venture.
- Samantha's favorite social media outlets.
- Why it's hard to leverage online activities to build farmer's market business.
- Learn the identity of “the number one professional” Samantha uses in her business.
Season 1, Episode 5: Resource Links
Photo editing: Clip magic
Picture resizing: Pic Resize
Farmer's market: Main Street Woodstock Farmer's Market
Farmers: Adderson's Fresh Produce
More Farmer's Market Tips from Samantha
If you want more tips to help you make more money at farmer's markets, enjoy this post where Samantha shares even more!
Connect with Samantha and Dirty Beauty Skincare
Your Feedback Please!
If you have an idea for an Indie Business Podcast episode topic or guest, send your feedback through our Contact Page.
If you enjoyed this episode of the Indie Business Podcast, please subscribe and rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.
Best and success,