Welcome to Season 3, Episode 12 of the Indie Business Podcast! In this twelfth episode of my Makers on Main Street series, I will introduce you to Amber Hawthorne of Bambu Earth in San Juan Capistrano, California. Amber just hosted the soft opening of her store this past weekend, and she tells us all about it in this episode. You'll also enjoy hearing how Amber used Kickstarter to fund her dream store, how she uses indoor and outdoor space to sell products and host spa parties, and how she uses Instagram to promote both her physical store and her online store.
Amber has been a member of the Indie Business Network since 2012.
You'll enjoy hearing a bit about Amber's lifestyle and philosophy, including incorporating her young daughter into the family business, and how her lifestyle choices complement and help boost her brand. Enjoy my interview with Amber NOW!
Click the arrow to listen
Season 3, Episode 12: Show Notes
Here are few Episode 12 highlights.
- Amber details how she started her business — from hobbyist in the Michael's craft store to making and selling her own brand in 2009. (starting at 3:54)
- Amber shares what she did to host a successful Kickstarter campaign to fund her store. (starting at 6:40)
- How Amber promoted her soft opening using word-of-mouth, social media, and email marketing. (starting at 10:30)
- Why Amber loves interacting on Instagram, for fun and for business, and why it has been “pivotal” to her success. (starting at 11:49)
- How Amber collaborates and cross promotes with Makers who offer products that are complementary to hers, and how this helps her maintain a manageable product line. (starting at 13:22)
- Amber describes what her business model looks like, including spa parties, wholesale and online retail. (starting at 16:15)
- What Amber's store looks like. Her store was once a jail house. (Brace yourself, you are going to want to go there NOW. (starting at 18:28)
- How Amber leverages her physical and online presences to grow and promote both. (starting at 24:05)
- How Amber integrates life and business as a wife and a mother. (Listen carefully for her mention of her community living arrangements — there's another story there. (And, introducing Bailey!) (starting at 25:04)
Season 3, Episode 12: Resources
Coffee House: Hidden House Coffee Roasters, San Juan Capistrano
Restaurant: The Ramos House Café, San Juan Capistrano
Vacation rentals: Airbnb
Wholesale training: LBU
Craft fair, San Francisco: Renegade Craft Fair
Connect with Amber
Visit Amber and Bambu Earth at 31766 Los Rios Street in San Juan Capistrano, California, open Tuesday through Thursday from 10 to 5, Friday and Saturday from 10 to 6, and Sunday from 11 to 4. Check out Amber at the Bambu Earth website, and on Facebook, on Twitter and on Instagram.
Listen on iTunes
Go here now to listen to this episode of the Indie Business Podcast on iTunes, and be sure to subscribe there for automatic episodes as they are released. Get excited for a new way to look at online relationships! If you enjoyed this episode of the Indie Business Podcast, you can subscribe and rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out!
What are Your Thoughts and Ideas?
Are you as ready as I am for a spa party on the 1,000 square foot outdoor area adjacent to Amber's store? Or how about the coffee shop to the left or the restaurant to the right? It all sounds so charming, don't you think? I don't know who is luckier, Amber or the community that's fortunate enough to have her. Please share your thoughts and feedback in the comments below, or share on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.