Welcome to Season 3, Episode 3 of the Indie Business Podcast! In this third episode of my Makers on Main Street series, I introduce you to Jamyla Bennu of Oyin Handmade in Baltimore, Maryland. You'll be so inspired by how Jamyla has grown her business from a tiny kitchen operation to a retail store with production space built in, a fully operating salon (where Oyin Handmade products are used exclusively), and a local popup event that draws artists, Makers and Handmade Entrepreneurs from all over.
Jamila has been a member of the Indie Business Network since 2000.
Not only will you get some great business inspiration from Jamyla. You'll also learn how she and her husband manage a thriving household that includes two very active young children. I know many of you know how that is … I sure do. There is so much more packed into this episode of the Indie business Podcast. You are going to love it! Enjoy my Interview with Jamyla NOW!
Click the arrow to listen
Jamyla Bennu, Oyin Handmade
Season 3, Episode 3: Show Notes
Here are few episode 3 highlights.
- Jamyla's journey from hobby, to kitchen table startup, to scaling up to where she is today. (starting at 1:49)
- Opening the retail store and the benefits of not being home-based. (starting at 4:29)
- Being a solopreneur does not mean going it alone. (starting at 8:24)
- Using email newsletters (and some social media), flyers and a launch party to spread the word about the retail store as a destination location. (starting at 9:13)
- Awesome “late night” video podcast promotion. (starting at 11:45)
- How Jamyla's popup works in conjunction with Jamyla's artist husband, Pierre Bennu. (starting at 14:24)
- How the retail operation works with the salon, hair stylists and service providers who use their spa space … including massage therapists and a henna artist (who is also another IBN member … W00T!). (starting at 19:06)
- Jamyla created the type of business model that works for her and not the type of business model everyone said would work. (starting at 23:17)
Every step we've taken has been when either there was no path or we were actively avoiding the path. (starting at 13:40)
Donna Maria, Indie Business Network
Connect with Jamyla at Oyin Handmade
Listen on iTunes
Go here now to listen to this episode of the Indie Business Podcast on iTunes, and be sure to subscribe there for automatic episodes as they are released. Get excited for a new way to look at online relationships!
Your Feedback Please!
If you have an idea for an Indie Business Podcast episode topic or guest, send your feedback through our Contact Page.
If you enjoyed this episode of the Indie Business Podcast, please subscribe and rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out!
Thanks for listening to Indie Business Podcast, and for allowing it to be a part of your life!
Best and Success!