Iam pleased to announce that the 2Q 2011 INDIE Business Book Club selection is Delivering Happiness: A Path To Profits, Passion, and Purpose (affiliate link) by Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh. You can read a bit about the book here, since we had a “sort of” Book Club for it last year. In this short video, Tony shares the valuable insight that customer service is actually a form of marketing.
1Q 2011 INDIE Business Book Club, featuring The Compound Effect (affiliate link) by Success Magazine publisher Darren Hardy, was a fantastic success, and I am excited to see the learning and sharing continue. In addition to the private conference call club meetings (request an invitation by leaving a comment) and the private FaceBook Group, I'm excited to announce new Twitter and FaceBook discussion components so you can participate right along with us. Here is our schedule for reading the 7 chapters:
- Profits. April 5: To prepare, read through the end of Chapter 3, to page 90.
- Profits and Passion. April 19: To prepare, read through the end of Chapter 5, to page 129.
- Profits, Passion, and Purpose. May 3: To prepare, read through to the end of the book. go
- Profits, Passion, and Purpose. May 17: Wrap up and sharing of final impressions, action items, accountability reports, and takeaways.
(All meetings are from noon to 1:00pm EST. I am reading the advance copy of the book, so the pages might not match up exactly with yours.)
Twitter and FaceBook Integration
When I first launched INDIE Business Book Club, I wanted as many people as possible to participate in our private meetings. After the first few gatherings, however, it became clear that only a small group could facilitate the meaningful sharing and growth everyone expected and deserved. I am toying with the idea of inviting other small business owners to lead INDIE Business Book Clubs of their own, but until then, the formal group will remain small and invitation only. (To request an invitation, leave a comment.)
You can still join us though, and here's how!
- Read the book along with us. The goal is to read it according to the above schedule, but you can read at a faster or slower pace if you'd like.
- Share on Twitter. Follow @INDIEbookclub, where I will ask questions and lead discussions about the book. Not only will we read the book together, but we will actually apply it to improve our lives and our businesses. You can also discuss the book from your Twitter page using the hashtag #INDIEbookclub.
- Discuss on FaceBook. If you prefer FaceBook, you can discuss your impressions, ideas, and questions at the INDIE FaceBook Discussion Board. There, you can start discussions and respond to discussions initiated by others.
How Do You Read Books These Days?
By the way, I recently invested in a Nook Color. I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't even taken it out of the package yet, but I am going to be very excited about discovering a new way to enjoy reading.
I was curious to know how other people preferred to consume books these days, so I asked the question on FaceBook. Wow! Dozens of people responded, and I discovered lots of new ways to read, including some I had never heard of before. Find out how other small business owner prefer to read books in this interesting converation.
I look forward to learning and growing with you through the INDIE Business Book Club!
Question: I'm ready to deliver more happiness to my customers — are you?!?