As you may know, I am the founder and CEO of the Indie Beauty Network, a trade organization representing small and independent manufacturers of cosmetics, candles, aromatherapy products, soaps, jewelry, confectionery products and other health, beauty and lifestyle accessories. My members manufacture products on a micro-scale, often by hand from scratch.
In addition to manufacturers, my members include companies that supply raw materials, supplies and ingredients to the trades represented. One of the first companies to join IBN back in 2000 was From Nature With Love. Founded by Kibby Mitra and her husband, Jay, From Nature With Love is one of the nation's largest suppliers of ingredients and raw materials to the micro-cosmetics industry. A few weeks ago, I approached From Nature With Love to propose a contest to feature the creativity of IBN members and other industry participants in an event designed to showcase how much fun it can be to make your own health, beauty and lifestyle products.
How The Beauti-Fall Bath & Body Recipe Contest Works
The objective is to reward people for their creativity, and to enjoy a fun way to share interesting and inspirational ideas for seasonal gifts made with ingredients that are reminiscent of the lovely fall season. This is not a contest for food recipes! Bath, bodycare, skincare and home fragrance only.
All you have to do to enter is publish your recipe with a photo of the finished product and/or a video showing how you made it to your blog or website, and to IBN's social networking site in our Recipe Contest Forum, between now and November 20, and our judges will announce the winners the following week!
Meet The Judges!
Our judges are seasoned industry professionals who teach people how to make their own health, beauty and lifestyle products.
Marla Bosworth is the owner of Back Porch Soap where she makes sea inspired bath and body care products. Marla also teaches soapmaking classes throughout the northeast, including in Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York and New Jersey. She also helps people launch successful bath and body care products companies. Marla leads the popular “How To Launch A Successful Beauty Business” group at IBN’s social networking site where she helps entrepreneurs launch beauty businesses through classes and consulting. She looks forward to discussing your questions including how to find your niche, market research to determine consumer demand, wholesale, retail, and much more!
Lori Nova is the owner of The Nova Studio outside San Francisco. She began making natural bath and body products in her kitchen in 2000 as a way to make family and friends homemade, practical gifts. Shortly thereafter, she began sharing her passion and teaching classes. Lori has taught classes atThe Learning Annex of San Francisco, Juniper Tree, The Native American Cultural Center, Foothill De Anza Community College and The Berkeley Ecology Center. Lori currently offers private lessons and group classes on how to make soap, candles and over 30 different bath and body products.
La Shonda Tyree
La Shonda is the Handmade Soap Coach. She has been making handmade soap and beauty products since 2001. Her handmade beauty and skin care company, Nyah, began in 2002 and continues to expand. La Shonda served as a board member of the Handcrafted SoapMakers Guild from 2004-2009. Currently, La Shonda enjoys teaching others how to make handcrafted beauty and skincare products at Adult Community Schools in NJ/NY, New York's Open Center and First Class, Inc. in Washington, DC.
Beauti-Fall Contest Rules
- Eligibility. No purchase of From Nature With Love products is necessary to win. Membership in IBN is not necessary to win. You must be 18 years or older and a resident of the United States or its territories in order to be eligible. One entry per person please, multiple entries will be disregarded. From Nature With Love or IBN employees are not eligible to enter.
- Entry. To enter the contest, post your original recipe to your blog or website and then also post it (word-for-word) to IBN's social networking site in our Recipe Contest Forum.
Disclosure. To enter the contest, post your original recipe to your blog or website and then also post it (word-for-word) to IBN's social networking site in our Recipe Contest Forum.
To be eligible to win, the entry posted at your site and at our Forum must contain this disclosure: This recipe and post is submitted as part of the Beauti-Fall Recipe Contest. The contest is sponsored by the Indie Beauty Network and From Nature With Love, a supplier of raw materials and supplies to the cosmetics industry. Contest judges are Marla Bosworth, Lori Nova and LaShonda Tyree.
Disclaimer. Neither IBN nor From Nature With Love nor the contest judges and organizers are responsible for recipes that are lost or which, for any reason, are not entered because of some fault of technology.
- Entry Period. The entry period will be from 12:00 a.m. Eastern Time, November 6, 2009 to November 20, 2009 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time. All entries must be posted to your blog or website and to IBN's Forum by the deadline to be eligible to win.
- Prizes. First Prize: A $100 gift certificate from From Nature With Love. Second Prize: A $50 gift certificate from From Nature With Love. Third Prize: A $25 gift certificate from From Nature With Love.
- Judging. Judges will be asked to agree on a first, second and third prize as indicated above. Prizes will be awarded to the winners via gift certificate. Contest entries will be judged on originality, interpretation of the “Beauti-Fall” theme and presentation of recipe via photograph or video.
- Originality. Your recipe and all accompanying graphics, videos, photos, etc., must be your original work original works of authorship on your part and have not been copied, in whole or in part, from any other work and do not violate, misappropriate or infringe any copyright, trademark or other proprietary right of any other person or entity.
Have fun and good luck!