Welcome to Episode 45 of the Indie Business Podcast! In this episode, I'll introduce you to Christina Wennstrom of Soap Seas in Redondo Beach, California. Before we dive in, I want you to know that I recorded this episode at my mother's dining room table on a day when her alarm malfunctioned and my children had just started summer vacation. Please be forgiving when you hear a few beeping sounds in the background, and my son's squeal as he ran a home run on his PS4 baseball game. As you know, one of the things the Indie Business Network, and me personally, is all about is building a business around your life, so this is just a real life example of how I do that. Hey, they show must go on, right? Now, onto Christina.
At the time of this recording, Christina's business is just 12 months old, and you will be amazed and inspired by how far she's come and how she's putting it all together. Not only dos she has a robust online business, but she is finding that it's hard to keep up with that because she's so busy in her local community. In just the past year, she's created a local business to business customer base that rivals those that have taken others years to build. You'll love hearing her story and how she's growing in this episode. Enjoy my interview with Christina NOW!
Listen to the Audio
Episode Show Notes
- The story behind Soap Seas. (starting at 2:26)
- Christina's “other” gig – and how she manages making and managing on any given day. (starting at 9:02)
- Why it's important to be the face of your brand in a variety of communities. (starting at 13:20)
- How Christina uses social media (Instagram in particular) to grow her business, and how she uses it to earn new business. (starting at 18:40)
- How Soap Seas makes money. (starting at 25:10)
- How Christina makes the most of product shows, even when she does not make a lot of money. (starting at 29:53)
- Christina's plans in terms of growing her business. (starting at 33:36)
- What being Indie means to Christina. (starting at 38:50)
- Rapid fire interrogation. (starting at 39:50)
Christina Wennstrom, Soap Seas
Three Actions You Can Take Right Now
At the Indie Business Network, we are not just about listening and being inspired. We are also about thinking carefully about what we hear, and then taking action, because nothing happens without it! Here are 3 actions you can consider taking right now based on my interview with Christina.
- Go outside and play in community: Christina has built her business around being with people in her local area. Attracted as much by her personally as they are by her products, other business owners are collaborating with Christina because she is pleasant and easy to get along with.
- Use Instagram: Christina says that her business has grown in large part because of Instagram. As we heard, you don't have to post incessantly to attract business from this platform. Use hashtags as well as Christina's once-a-day posting approach to build a following.
- Evolve: Christina said that, even after just 12 short months, her business is not anything like it was when she started it. It's so important to plan as you go and be flexible as you move forward. Nothing stays the same, not your customer and not you. Your business must evolve as well.
Explore Additional Resources
Christina's “other” job: Localista Media
A networking friend: Bibi Goldstein and Buying Time
Maker group: Academy of Handmade
Social media: Instagram
Instagram app: Word Swag
Fresh crab in Redondo Beach: Quality Seafood
Binge on all of my Indie Business Podcast Episodes
If you want to listen to previous episodes, you can find them here.
Ask Me A Question
From time to time, I can answer your most pressing questions about life, business, and success as part of the Indie Business Podcast. If you have a question for my podcast, ask it here. If I use your question on an episode, I will link to your site as I provide complimentary advice to help you use your business to Break All The Rules, Build Your Own Corporate Ladder, and Create the life you love.
Subscribe to Indie Business Podcast
Rate Indie Business Podcast, Tell Your Friends and Comment
If you enjoy the Indie Business Podcast, please rate my show on iTunes, and be sure to subscribe there to receive automatic episodes as they are released.