Welcome to Episode 49 of the Indie Business Podcast! In this episode, I introduce you to Ronda Porter-Altema of Soude Haiti, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to helping the people of Haiti build self-sustaining businesses and become more economically empowered. I recorded this interview just a few short days after Hurricane Matthew left a path of death and destruction throughout Haiti, and at the time Ronda and I spoke, the death toll was approaching 1,000, but was still unknown.
Soude Haiti is adjusting its efforts to provide whatever aid it can, but the organization's ongoing mission and message is one of economic independence and empowerment, and to that end, they are teaching people how to grow and sell produce, and to make things they can sell, so they can provide for themselves and generate steady income. You will come away from this experience with a renewed sense of how even your smallest contribution can have a lasting economic impact for a Haitian mom or dad struggling to create a better life for their children. Enjoy my interview with Ronda NOW!
Listen to the Audio
Episode Show Notes
- The beginnings of Soude Haiti, its focus on education and economic growth, and how Ronda and her husband, a native Haitian, met and formed the organization. (starting at 4:00)
- Hurricane Matthew update. (starting at 7:25)
- Soude Haiti's specific activities to support self sustainability and economic development, including strengthening rural areas and helping people adjust their mindset from being given things to working to sustain themselves in three main areas: soap and product making, horticulture, sewing. (starting at 10:33)
- How YOU can help Soude Haiti with its empowerment work. (starting at 14:57)
- Details about how Soude Haiti's volunteer trips work (starting at 19:10)
- How you can help with Soude Haiti's sewing projects (starting at 25:03)
- What you can do by the end of this week to help Soude Haiti (starting at 27:20)
- The price to participate in a Soude Haiti volunteer trip (starting at 32:21)
Ronda Porter-Altema, Soude Haiti
Actions You Can Take Right Now
At the Indie Business Network, we believe in rolling up our sleeves. Success does not come by listening to the Indie Business Podcast. It comes by taking action based on the things you hear on the show. Success leaves clues, and we believe in following them. Here are some specific actions you can consider taking right now based on my interview with Ronda.
- Embrace the mission: Soude Haiti's mission is all about empowerment. It's great when we can give financially, but it's critical that we not only give people fish, but also teach them how to fish. Soude Haiti does that.
- Donate money: The Haitian people's greatest need now includes financial relief, and you can donate at the Soude Haiti website here. Going forward, their needs include supplies like the seeds Ronda mentioned, and also manpower. If you'd like to join me on a volunteer trip to Haiti to teach product making classes, contact me through our contact page.
- Donate seeds: especially squash, tomatoes, corn, spinach, carrots, and cabbage.
- Spread the word on social media: Any posts to Twitter, Facebook, and even your own blog are helpful. You can even contact Ronda for an interview and create content for you blog and support Soude Haiti at the same time.
Explore Additional Resources
Non-profit soapmaking training project: Lovin' Soap Project (this is the organization Ronda could not recall the name of, at 14:39)
Entrepreneurial retreat: #IndieCruise
How to help the people of Haiti: Donate to Soude Haiti via PayPal account or credit card on the home page, or email them for the address to send a check
Binge on all of my Indie Business Podcast Episodes
If you want to listen to previous episodes, you can find them here.
Ask Me A Question
From time to time, I can answer your most pressing questions about life, business, and success as part of the Indie Business Podcast. If you have a question for my podcast, ask it here. If I use your question on an episode, I will link to your site as I provide complimentary advice to help you use your business to Break All The Rules, Build Your Own Corporate Ladder, and Create the life you love.
Subscribe to Indie Business Podcast
Rate Indie Business Podcast, Tell Your Friends and Comment
If you enjoy the Indie Business Podcast, please rate my show on iTunes, and be sure to subscribe there to receive automatic episodes as they are released.