Welcome to Episode 52 of the Indie Business Podcast! In this episode, I introduce you to Nieves Rathbun of By Nieves in Petrolia, California. Nieves's business started out of an unexplainable passion for skincare products and perfume. She describes her brand as a kind vintage, but also modern, and she's done an exquisite job of creating a special niche for herself at shows and in Indie boutiques and spas in cities around the country.
You'll love hearing a little about Nieves' approach to entrepreneurship, and how she did not have a big and grand plan when she started out. She describes her growth as organic, and she grew a little at a time by selling a few things, then buying a few supplies, then selling a few more things, and then buying a few more supplies.
You'll also benefit from the mindset tips Nieves offers to help you embrace and appreciate the intersection between who you are as a person and who you are as an entrepreneur. Enjoy my interview with Nieves NOW!
Listen to the Audio
Episode Show Notes
- The inspiration for the By Nieves brand. (starting at 2:19)
- How Nieves saw a need in the market, and how she began to fill that need, starting with sharing a body balm with friends. (starting at 5:34)
- How Nieves started selling her products starting with salons and spas, and moving to craft fairs, which Nieves describes as “a great marketing opportunity.” (starting at 7:00)
- How Nieves knew where she wanted to sell her products at the very beginning of her business, even though she didn't have a “real grand plan,” and how “every baby step informed the next step.” (starting at 8:21)
- How Nieves moved from San Francisco to The Lost Coast, and the challenges of living “in the boonies.” (starting at 9:45)
- How the By Nieves is a lifestyle brand, and how her products (one in particular) tells a beautiful story. (starting at 12:06)
- Nieves shares how to build your business in a way that conveys real meaning into the heart of your customer, including overcoming the fear of selling your unique self. (starting at 15:11)
- Nieves tips on building a show booth that stands out, using what appeals to you and combining your style with things you notice and like at other shows. (starting at 17:54)
- How the intersection between your personal brand and your business brand creates the momentum you need to authentically pursue what success means to you. (starting at 23:03)
- How Nieves is taking some of her personal time back at this stage in her life and business. (starting at 26:31)
- How Nieves decides which shows to do and which ones to skip, and how she has scaled back on events. (starting at 26:58)
- How Nieves divides up income streams: shows, wholesale, online retail. (starting at 28:11)
- The value of selling your products in person. (starting at 29:20)
- Using entrepreneurship as your own personal confidence training ground, and how this translates into increased success. (starting at 31:50)
- The hardest part of managing business today. (starting at 33:05)
- “Your business and your brand have a life of their own now,” and how that feels to Nieves. (starting at 34:40)
- The hardest part about living on the Lost Coast. (starting at 34:40)
- Nieves' favorite tech tool (and you will love this) (starting at 37:43)
- What being Indie mean to Nieves. (starting at 38:07)
Nieves Rathbun of By Nieves
Connect with Nieves of By Nieves
Binge on all of my Indie Business Podcast Episodes
If you want to listen to previous episodes, you can find them here.
Subscribe to Indie Business Podcast
Rate Indie Business Podcast, Tell Your Friends and Comment
If you enjoy the Indie Business Podcast, please rate my show on iTunes, and be sure to subscribe there to receive automatic episodes as they are released.