Welcome to Episode 66 of the Indie Business Podcast! Today's Maker Story introduces you to Zondra Wilson of Blu Skin Care in Los Angeles, California. Zondra started her business after a career as a television news anchor. When she began to feel like something was missing, she left the broadcast world and then, as she says, Blu Skin Care came along — as a result of a message from God himself. So, you know we have to hear that story.
But the Zondra party definitely does not stop with a skin care line. She is also a real live Hollywood based working actress, a certified personal trainer, an author, and a Sunday school teacher. Who says you have to do one thing all your life? Or even one thing at a time? Zondra manages to fit in all the fun and all the income streams simultaneously without missing a beat.
As you'll enjoy learning in this episode, she Zondra pools the multiple aspects of her personality into a cohesive business whole. She manages to remain focused and productive on each project as she does it, avoiding the chaos many entrepreneurs face when they try to do more than one ting at a time. We discuss how she does that in this episode. Enjoy my interview with Zondra NOW!
Click the arrow to enjoy the Indie Business Podcast
Episode Show Notes
Here are the topics discussed in this episode, with time stamps to help you find the information that most interests you:
- Basic introduction to Zondra and how her midwestern broadcast career led her to Hollywood. (starting at 2:40)
- How Hollywood led to Blu Skin Care, and a bit about the organic certificate process. (starting at 7:23)
- How Zondra explains to consumers the benefits of buying organic personal care products, including that her products must be edible in order to maintain her certified organic status. (starting at 17:22)
- Zondra shares how she combines all of her income streams into a cohesive whole using one social media outlet on Instagram. (starting at 21:06)
- Zondra speaks on the opportunities we all have now as multi-passionate entrepreneurs, and the importance of “no filter” social media. (And how she recently worked with one of the world's most well known entertainers.) (starting at 23:58)
- How Zondra pushed through the early years when customers were few and far between, and things were not moving fast enough. (starting at 28:00)
- The importance of identifying and embracing your “why.” (starting at 31:23)
- How Zondra identifies the physical venues where her products sell best. (starting at 32:05)
- How Zondra runs all of her business interests pretty much by herself. (starting at 33:45)
- Zondra does not work, and she makes more money selling books than she does in her skin care product business (starting at 37:15)
- What the future holds for Zondra and Blu Skin Care. (starting at 44:00)
- Zondra's words of wisdom and encouragement to help you be successful in your life as a multi-passionate entrepreneur, and the importance of failing fast. (starting at 45:59)
Resources and Links Mentioned in this Episode
In this episode, Zondra and I mentioned the following resources.
- Blu Skin Care online: Blu Skin Care LLC
- Blu Skin Care on Facebook: Blu Skin Care LLC on Facebook
- Blu Skin Care on Instagram: Blu Skin Care LLC on Instagram
- Organic certification: CCOF
- Entertainer: Cardi B
- Clothing line: FUBU
- Publicity: Help a Reporter (HARO)
- Zondra's and Keith's book: Faithful, Forty and Fabulously Fit
- Zondra's prayer journal: Restoration
- Fitness instructor: Keith Bossier
A few of the important entrepreneurial points Zondra and I discussed in this episode
- Create additional income streams from things you are already doing. Zondra reminds us that income can be found in places we might be prone to overlook. For example, as a fitness instructor, Zondra owned and maintained a treasure trove of intellectual property that she was not monetizing simply because she was not thinking about it. But when she felt led to write a book, she realized that the content was already there. All she had to do was organize it in a way that made sense. The project was actually easy because once she got started, the resources needed to complete the project literally appeared.
- Surround yourself with people who believe in you. People will often try to talk you out of what you feel in your heart that you want to do. Zondra says that if you have a dream, don't give it up. Her personal way of handling things is to stay in prayer a lot, so she can think things through from a spiritual perspective In this way, she never has to wonder whether she's doing the right thing for her — no matter what anyone else says.
- Make sure you love what you are doing. Zondra points out that you may not make a lot of money in your business in the early days, and if you don't love what you are doing, you'll end up frustrated and unhappy. Your love for your work will see you through those tough times so you can maximize the business opportunities that come your way, and ultimately, make more money.
Binge Indie Business Podcast Episodes
Subscribe to Indie Business Podcast
Rate Indie Business Podcast, Tell Your Friends and Comment
If you enjoy the Indie Business Podcast, please rate my show on iTunes, and be sure to subscribe there to receive automatic episodes as they are released.