Welcome to Season 3, Episode 11 of the Indie Business Podcast! In this eleventh episode of my Makers on Main Street series, you'll meet Cindy Jones, Ph.D. of Colorado Aromatics in Longmont, Colorado. Cindy started her business 10 years ago on the heels of a career as a chemist and microbiologist. After serving as a medical writer while her children were very young, she began to see a need in the market for microbiology testing services for artisan cosmetic companies. She began offering that service, and fast forward ten years, and today, she manages a farm, a retail store, a busy wholesale business .. and more, as you'll hear in this episode.
Cindy has been a member of the Indie Business Network since 2012.
As you listen, make sure you internalize all of the life nuggets Cindy shares. She's been quite intentional and methodical about the pace at which she has grown her business. As you'll hear, there is a lot of be said for the power of slow. Enjoy my interview with Cindy NOW!
Click the arrow to listen
Season 3, Episode 11: Show Notes
Here are few Episode 11 highlights.
- Cindy starts by sharing the background on her two businesses, what she offers through them, and the story of how they started. (starting at 1:55)
- How How Cindy has integrated her educational background, her passion, and what she is good at to create a business the suits her lifestyle. (starting at 5:03)
- “Wandering aimlessly.” (starting at 6:10)
- An audio tour of Cindy's “Alpine Modern” spot on Main Street. (starting at 7:15)
- Exploring Cindy's business model. (starting at 11:27)
- What resources Cindy used to gear up for her retail store opening. (starting at 14:10) (Shout out to Kristin Fraser at The Grapeseed Company.
- How Cindy promotes her business through local farmer's markets and collaborations, and on the Internet. (starting at 16:40)
- Tips for opening your own store. (starting at 20:54)
- How Cindy approaches business growth — the power of slow. (starting at 21:58)
- Hiring employees. (starting at 23:40)
- What the future holds for Cindy and Colorado Aromatics. (starting at 27:22)
Connect with Cindy
Visit Cindy and Colorado Aromatics at 340 Lashley St., Unit 220, in Longmont, Colorado. The phone number there is 303-651-2062. Check out Cindy at the Colorado Aromatics website, and on Facebook, on Twitter and on Instagram.
Listen on iTunes
Go here now to listen to this episode of the Indie Business Podcast on iTunes, and be sure to subscribe there for automatic episodes as they are released. Get excited for a new way to look at online relationships! If you enjoyed this episode of the Indie Business Podcast, you can subscribe and rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out!
What are Your Thoughts and Ideas?
What do you think of Cindy's “slow” approach to business? Are you ready to take a trip out and help Cindy and her team harvest the lavender? What inspires you about Cindy's story? Please share know your thoughts and feedback in the comments below, or share on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.