Welcome to Season 3, Episode 5 of the Indie Business Podcast! In this fifth episode of my Makers on Main Street series, you'll meet Kismet Andrews of Bar Maids in Brush Prairie, Washington. Kismet held down a full-time job working eighty hours a week for several years after the started her business, and when she finally quit, she never looked back. Today, Kismet owns and manages a retail shop in her town and sells her products online.
Kismet has been a member of the Indie Business Network since 2009.
She also spends two to three weeks each month traveling and selling her products at shows, particularly in the fiber arts community. You'll enjoy hearing a bit about how Kismet's business model works and how she uses “active listening” to give her customers exactly what they want. Enjoy my interview with Kismet NOW!
Click the arrow to listen
Kismet Andrews, Bar Maids
Season 3, Episode 5: Show Notes
Here are few episode 5 highlights.
- Kismet's journey from learning to make skincare products as a teen, to making moisturizers instead of cookies for the company holiday parties, to owning her own business. (starting at 1:50)
- How Kismet has grown her business … was it intentional or did it just “evolve?” (starting at 5:29)
- Kismet's target market(s). (starting at 9:02)
- How Kismet came to decide to open a store (“kicking and screaming” she says) (starting at 10:21)
- Kismet's tips for opening your store: the answer involves numbers, mindsets and hammers. (starting at 13:52)
- How Kismet is organizing her retail store, including Making area, scent bar, retail area and more. (starting at 15:05)
- The benefits of cross training your staff. (starting at 18:48)
- How and where Kismet's store is situated … location, location, location! (starting at 19:33)
- Jump and the net will appear? (starting at 20:50)
- Multiple income streams. (starting at 23:04)
- It's about throwing open the doors. (starting at 23:29)
- How to hire the help you need to make your business successful. (starting at 24:37)
- What Kismet is most excited about. (starting at 30:11)
- Kismet's philosophy of entrepreneurship. (starting at 31:10)
Visit Bar Maids in Brush Prairie!
Visit Kismet's store at 1507 Broadway, Vancouver, WA 98663. It's right off the I-5 and Mill Plain exit. The phone number there is (888) 684-0333.
Connect with Kismet Online
Listen on iTunes
Go here now to listen to this episode of the Indie Business Podcast on iTunes, and be sure to subscribe there for automatic episodes as they are released. Get excited for a new way to look at online relationships!
Your Feedback Please!
If you have an idea for an Indie Business Podcast episode topic or guest, send your feedback through our Contact Page.
If you enjoyed this episode of the Indie Business Podcast, please subscribe and rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out!
Thanks for listening to Indie Business Podcast, and for allowing it to be a part of your life!
Best and Success!