Welcome to Season 3, Episode 8 of the Indie Business Podcast! In this eighth episode of my Makers on Main Street series, you'll meet Roberta Perry of Scrubz Natural Skincare in Bethpage, New York.
Roberta has been a member of the Indie Business Network since 2008.
According to Roberta, while her business is 9 years old, she says she feels like she's just getting started after taking the first several years to figure out, as she says, “who she wanted to be when she grew up.” Her story is a great example of following your business where it leads you, and building your business to fit your life and what you really love doing. Roberta loves engaging one-on-one with her customers, and it is this passion for intimate connection that has helped her build her brand and her retail store success over the years. You'll really enjoy hearing from her. Enjoy my interview with Roberta NOW!
Click the arrow to listen
Roberta Perry, Scrubz Natural Skincare
Season 3, Episode 8: Show Notes
Here are few Episode 8 highlights.
- How Roberta took her business from kitchen to garage to Main Street. (starting at 2:03)
- Why, with rare exception, Roberta would rather not sell her products to other retailers. (starting at 5:30)
- What mindset do you have to embrace in order to be successful in business? (starting at 7:40)
- Roberta shares a bit about how her business model works, including the “party rooms,” Girl Scout parties and massage therapists — who use Roberta's products of course. (starting at 11:16)
- The importance of being flexible and thriving in community. (starting at 15:17)
- Roberta shares how she interacts and stays connected in her local community, including raising money for local charities. (starting at 17:02)
- Roberta comments on how your personal brand integrates with your business one. (starting at 21:57)
- How Roberta handles the copycats and uses over-the-top customer service to set her brand part. (starting at 26:00)
Connet with Roberta
Visit Scrubz at 328 Broadway, Bethpage, NY 11714, right in the heart of downtown by the parkway and train station. The phone number there is 516-827-0800. Check out Roberta at the Scrubz website, and on Facebook, on Twitter and on Instagram.
Listen on iTunes
Go here now to listen to this episode of the Indie Business Podcast on iTunes, and be sure to subscribe there for automatic episodes as they are released. Get excited for a new way to look at online relationships! If you enjoyed this episode of the Indie Business Podcast, you can subscribe and rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out!
What are Your Thoughts and Ideas?
Are you as inspired by Roberta's story as I am? What would you add to her advice about opening a retail store? Please share know your thoughts and feedback in the comments below, or share on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.