[Note: this post was slightly updated on February 22, 2010.]
I am the founder and president of the Indie Beauty Network (IBN) so it will come as no surprise that I think my members make the best products in the world. Whether you want candles, sugar scrubs, perfumes, essential oils, lotions, jewelry, body oils, hair care products or mineral makeup, you can find it all at IBN.
Sure, you can buy your personal care products from the local Big Box store, but before you do, consider these Top 10 Reasons To Buy Indie.
- You can frequently have Indie products customized especially for you. With big box stores and mass marketed products, what you see is what you get. No additions, no substitutions, no changes. That's OK when it comes to paper plates, but for my personal stuff, I want Indie.
- Indies usually have a collection of “stock” products, but if you want something customized for a gift or a special item just for yourself, most of the time, Indies are happy to work with you to create the perfect item.
- Most Indies use an abundance of natural and/or organic ingredients and minimal synthetics in their products. This may not always be the least expensive alternative, but it's usually the best one. Why buy candles, perfumes, face masks and beauty oils chock full of synthetics and fillers when you can have genuine ingredients from start to finish? Indies take care of the ingredients used in their products so those products can take better care of you.
- You can actually talk one-on-one with most Indie product manufacturers to ask questions about everything from manufacturing practices to product customization procedures. This ability to interact directly with the owner/manufacturer provides you with the assurance that you are obtaining the best possible product for you.
Most Indies really care about you and your unique personal needs, and will work with you to help you accomplish your goals.
- Most Indie products are made in small batches which allows the Indie making them to pay special attention to the quality of the products.
- Indie-made products make great gifts … most people are especially delighted to receive a present that is not something they can buy for themselves down the street at the local shopping mall. When you give an Indie gift, you show that you care and that you hold the giftee in high regard.
- The Indie Business community is a rapidly growing segment of the world-wide economy, and your purchases helps these unique businesses grow, which in turn helps individual communities thrive from coast to coast. This is good for those communities, good for those states and ultimately good for the entire country and the world.
- Indies are generally willing to provide you with detailed information about the ingredients and processes used to make their products. Some will even give you a recipe or instructions so you can make the item or something close to it yourself (but it's so much more fun to have someone do it for you)!!
- Few Indies choose to use ingredients that have been tested on animals so most of the products you buy from them are cruelty-free in this respect.
- Indie product manufacturers know that YOU are their first priority and they are often willing to do whatever it takes to satisfy even the most unusual requests. Just try calling a mass marketed product manufactuer and asking to speak to the owner! If you can get through the layers of recordings and receptionists, you're likely to get a canned response or the big brush off. When you deal with Indie manufacturers, you have the best chance of getting through to the person who is willing to take responsibility for your purchase and help you make the most of it.
Sure, you can buy anything anywhere. And even I get my toilet paper and trash bags from The Big Box Store, and I use coupons too. But that leaves me with the disposable income I need to Buy Indie. It feels good to treat myself, my family members and my friends to truly unique products that are not available on every corner.
To search for products made by members of IBN, visit our online member directory here. You can search by state so you can connect with and support Indies in your own back yard. You can also use the key word search window to look for a particular type of product, say “organic,” “soap” or “soy candle.”
You can also browse my members product photos at our social networking site at this link. Contact them! I know they would be happy to hear from you!
Question: Do you like buying Indie? What sorts of things do you consider when purchasing special products from small business owners who put their heart and soul into serving you?