In this quick video, I share with you three simple steps to being productive when you have to work around your children. I've been doing it for nearly 14 years, and it's not easy. But it can be done if you take it one step at a time. These tips are very basic and easy to understand, but they are work to apply — but let me tell you, it's worth it!
Whether you're a new parent just starting a business, or you have been at it for a while, here are three essential steps you can't afford to miss:
- Schedule everything.
- Incorporate your children into your business.
- Get help every chance you get.
In the video, I explain each principle in more detail and give you simple, easy-to-follow action items to get be more productive, starting right now, even if — like me — you're working form home and your kids are home for the summer too. Whew!
Coming Up This Month at the Indie Business Network
Speaking of incorporating your children into your business, at the end of this video, my daughter, Vanessa Johnson, joins me to share a fun preview of the practical and inspiring content we have coming up at Indie Business Network in August.
- In our Success Call, I interview my friend, Tai Goodwin, the “Employedpreneur,” about how to manage your business while keeping your day job. We will include a discussion on how to set up a solid foundation for a business while you have a traditional job, so you can leave your job when you're ready or stay as long as you'd like.
- In our Master Class, I introduce you to an uber successful creative entrepreneur who has taken her business from local fairs and farmer's markets to a brand of organic sunscreen products that are sold nationwide, with annual sales in the millions. She's reveal her never-before told story of how she honed her niche, the top mistakes you want to avoid if you plan to have your products in retail stores nationwide, and what steps you must take to position yourself for wholesale success.
- Finally, I will host our members-only Live Access Q+A Call. This month’s theme is “Using Social Media to Build Your Brand.” This is not going to be a “how-to” call, where you learn how to push buttons and share links. Instead, I'll share my own personal social media framework that has taken me from zero to tens of thousands of fans (many of them also customers). Indie Business Network members are invited to ask me their their most important social media brand building questions and get my personal, one-on-one answers.
If you’re not a member of the Indie Business Network yet, and you'd like access to this content, you can see our other member benefits here, and join today!
1. If you work from home, or in an environment where your children are around, what are your tips for managing things?
2. What is your biggest challenge, and how to you handle it?
3. What would you do differently if you had to do it all over again?