While planning is critical to success as an entrepreneur, flexibility is equally important. There are times when you just have to ad lib your business, not knowing exactly what to do next, but taking baby steps in the direction you are going.
According to the dictionary, an ad lib is made up of “words, music, or actions uttered, performed, or carried out extemporaneously.” In business, some of the best and most exciting opportunities are not the result of planning, but of ad libbing. We discuss this on this #IndieBusinessBlab.
My guest is Anne-Marie Faiola of Bramble Berry, and we discussed ad libbing your business in a fun, live talk show format on the Indie Business Network Blab channel.
The recording is below (sorry for the scratchy mic for part of it), along with time stamps so you can quickly skip to parts you are most interested in. Try to ignore toward the end where the video has Anne-Marie and I talking over each other just a bit, and there are a few silent gaps. (Talk about ad libbing …) You can still hear everything, and it was so much fun!
How to Ad Lib Your Business
- 0:00 to 2:58: Introduction and welcome.
Anne-Marie and I introduce ourselves and the short story behind this Blab, and we share some of the reasons why it's important to ad lib your business.
- 2:58 to 5:50: Long-term success is a result of doing the same right things over and over again, but success also comes in smaller packages.
Studies show that we often underestimate what we can do in a year, and overestimate what we can do in a week. This points out how important it is to take small steps toward goals during the year. At the end of the year, major progress has been made, but only small steps were taken. Appreciate small successes, moment by moment. Any growth and all learning, no matter how small it may seem, is a reason to celebrate.
- 5:50 to 9:25: Examples of ad libbing: this Blab and #IndieCruise.
The importance of firing bullets and not canon balls, from Jim Collins's book, How The Mighty Fall: And Why Some Companies Never Give In.
- 9:25 to 10:55: Book showcase!
We showcase Anne-Marie's new book, Pure Soapmaking: How to Create Nourishing, Natural Skin Care Soaps, and the live book launch party she'll be Periscoping on Friday in her hometown of Bellingham.
- 12:15 to 15:43: What we are reading: The Motivation Manifesto by Brendon Burchard and The Success Principles by Jack Canfield.How you do your morning sets the tone for the day. Another book recommendation: The Power of Broke: How Empty Pockets, a Tight Budget, and a Hunger for Success Can Become Your Greatest Competitive Advantage by Damon John.
- 15:43 to 28:57: More ad libbing
- 28:57 to 32:32: View Question: What's your best tip for turning everything off in the evening for family time? Great tips from Anne-Marie and me. Enjoy!
What a fun and informative conversation!!
Don't forget to visit Anne-Marie's website!
How do you ad lib your life? Your business? What tips and advice do you have to offer on how being flexible in your planning has resulted in new opportunities for you? Feel free to provide your feedback in the comments below, or share on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.