How do you transform a small Texas soapmaking venture into a non-profit powerhouse that changes lives around the globe? It was not a part of Amanda Gail's original plan, but it's happening as we speak. In fact, Amanda and her team will board a flight within hours of the publication of this podcast, to empower women in earthquake-wrecked Haiti to grow a soapmaking business there.
To make sure you catch every episode, I encourage you to subscribe via iTunes so you can take Indie Business Podcast with you wherever you go!
Episode 8 Show Notes
- How Amanda started her soapmaking business. How this self-described “serial crafter” transformed herself into an entrepreneur.
- Follow your passion to start a non-profit of your own. We have water and electricity and many luxuries, but Amanda and her team do not have that when they go to Haiti. Make sure you love what you are doing so you have the energy to juggle the difficulties and logistics in the area where you will be offering your services.
- Assess your resources. If you want to teach people how to make things in their own country, you may be limited by the resources available to you in-country. What resources are available to you? Are they affordable? Can you import necessary supplies, or find donors to supply them for you?
- Build a community. Amanda would not be successful without the donations and support of the Lovin' Soap community, so she shares super insights into the importance of building community around your efforts. Amanda shares how you can join her community, and play a role in helping the women of Haiti.
Episode 8 Resources
In this episode, I mentioned several resources, including:
- Lovin' Soap Project online: Lovin' Soap Project website and on Facebook
- Event: IndieCruise
- Non-Profit: OFEDA Haiti is the organization that the Lovin' Soap Project has partnered with to deliver services to Haiti.
Share Your Feedback!
If you have an idea for a podcast you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, send your feedback through our Contact Page.
If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.
Best and success,
Have you considered launching your own non-profit or partnering with an existing one to empower other would-be entrepreneurs? Are you already doing so? Share your experiences and feedback below!