Welcome to Season 2, Episode 8 of the Indie Business Podcast! In this eighth episode of our Women, Wealth and Wow! series, I introduce you to my guest Diane Humke, President and Chair of Essential Wholesale & Labs in Portland, Oregon.
Click the arrow to listen
Diane Humke, Essential Wholesale
Season 2, Episode 8: Show Notes
Here are few episode 8 highlights.
- Diane's entrepreneurial background, including a berry and lemonade stand and selling vacume cleaners door-to-door (starting at 2:22).
- Joining a Mastermind group was the single best thing I ever did for my business (starting at 4:34).
- What it was like to be raised by entrepreneurial parents and how it helped Diane in her own entrepreneurial endeavors (starting at 5:45).
- Can your business really love you back? (starting at 8:35).
- How to address problems as a united team, in a business as in a marriage (starting at 12:05).
- Different classifications of worry and how to handle them. (starting at 13:18).
- Diane's “tainted” view point on how business has changed for women in the past 10 years. (starting at 14:13).
- Diane defines wealth (starting at 23:13).
- What is everyone's highest expense every month? (starting at 26:55).
- Don't shortchange yourself; do the math (starting at 29:18).
- Diane's tips for making your first hire (starting at 33:55).
- Make sure your work is in line with your corporate identity and who you are (starting at 35:44).
- Diane's final words of entrepreneurial encouragement: it starts with what you believe (starting at 41:55).
Tips to set your business up for possible sale in the future, and a backstage peek at the Essential Wholesale purchase story. (starting at 18:01).
Season 2, Episode 8: Resources in this Episode
- Book: Getting to Yes, by Roger Fisher and William Ury
- Free coaching: Score
- Assistance for businesses in Oregon: Oregon Manufacturing Extension Partnership
- Book: How to Stop Worrying and Start Living, by Dale Carnegie
Connect with Diane at Essential Wholesale and Labs
Your Feedback Please!
If you have an idea for an Indie Business Podcast episode topic or guest, send your feedback through our Contact Page.
If you enjoyed this episode of the Indie Business Podcast, please subscribe and rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out!
Thanks for listening to Indie Business Podcast, and for allowing our show to be a part of your life!