Iam pleased to announce my choice for 3Q 2011 INDIE Business Book Club: Poke the Box (affiliate link) by Seth Godin. Even before watching Seth speak live last month at the Chick-Fil-A Leadercast, I knew his newest book was a front runner for our book club.
Just 83 pages long, Poke The Box is packed with powerful yet bit-sized nuggets of information and action items that are perfect for our book club. The free Poke The Box Workbook (PDF download link) will make it easy for us to organize, discuss and, most importantly, act on, the material. Below are our meeting dates and times, and information about how you can join INDIE Business Book Club.
Unlike The Compound Effect (1Q 2011) and Delivering Happiness (2Q 2011), Poke The Box is not divided into chapters. In fact, it's not divided into anything other than Seth's thoughts. I like that because it challenges us to absorb the information in ways that work best for us as individuals. The book is just 83 pages long, and I read it in just over an hour.
Because Poke The Box is so compact and quick to read, I am dividing our meetings using the Poke The Box Workbook (PDF download link) as a guide. We will all have read the entire book before our first meeting. Here are our 3 topics and the dates we will dive into them:
- Starting. July 12: To prepare, complete the Poke The Box Workbook (PDF download link) through page 10.
- Obstacles and distractions. July 26: To prepare, complete the workbook through page 17. (There's lots of meat in this section.)
- Poke the box … Go!. August 9: To prepare, complete the workbook through to the end.
All meetings are from noon to 1:00pm EST. If you are already a member of the INDIE Business Book Club, more details are waiting for you at our private FaceBook Group. If you are not a member of the club, but are a member of IBN who would like to join us, please leave a comment below and I will get in touch with you.
Twitter and FaceBook Integration
When I first launched INDIE Business Book Club, I wanted as many people as possible to participate in our private meetings. After the first few gatherings, however, it became clear that only a small group could facilitate the meaningful sharing and growth everyone expected and deserved. The live club meetings are open exclusively to IBN members, but anyone can participate along with us using FaceBook and Twitter.
- Read the book along with us. The goal is to read the book and do the workbook according to the above schedule, but you can read at a faster or slower pace if you'd like.
- Share on Twitter. Follow @INDIEbookclub, where I will ask questions and lead discussions about the book. Not only will we read the book together, but we will actually apply it to improve our lives and our businesses. You can also discuss the book from your Twitter page using the hashtag #INDIEbookclub.
- Discuss on FaceBook. If you prefer FaceBook, you can discuss your impressions, ideas, and questions at the INDIE FaceBook Page Wall. There, you can start discussions and respond to discussions initiated by others.
Question: Are you ready to poke the box?